Tuesday, August 7, 2012

It's All in a Name

When we first found out we were pregnant I did not want to find out whether we were having a boy or a girl. I wanted to be surprised at the end, but Joel thought differently. He was the last to carry on the family name and was desperate to have a boy. I have to admit, I also was hoping for a boy, but would have been thrilled either way!

I had my mind set, I wouldn't find out the gender of our baby, but Joel would and keep it a secret from everyone. Then the 20 week ultrasound happened. As I'm laying on the table with the warm goop all over my belly, the question is asked, "Do you want to know whether you are having a boy or a girl?" I immediately responded with a no.... drawn out with I don't think so..... uhm, okay, tell us. I have to admit, finding out and seeing him on the ultrasound was the most amazing thing! Knowing that our little baby is a boy was so incredible. I think, maybe, we both cried.

Prior to finding out if we were having a boy or a girl, Joel and I made name lists. We pretty much had our boy name picked out, but our girls' list was long. We definitely couldn't come to an agreement on a name. I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be able to tell whether we were having a boy or a girl by the names that we chose, hence the lists being done early.

Joel and I both had the understanding that a name has to be special. We wanted something we thought was unique. We didn't want our son to grow up in a classroom with multiples of the same name. I had to deal with that!. Our middle names were always picked out, so we had to make sure that the first names would match up well.

I fully believe that picking a name for your child is such a special task and a scary one at that. I worried about the name being picked. Would he be made fun of? Would people understand the name? Would people think we're weird? But it came down to the fact that we LOVE his name. He wouldn't be the same kid with a different name. I feel like this was one of my first successful tasks in mommyhood, naming our baby. I was worried when he was born whether the name would fit him. I wanted to look at him before announcing his name to the room.

So mommies to be, don't worry about the name you've chosen. I'm sure it's special for a reason. Just remember YOU chose it and you've used one of your first mommy's instinct!

We didn't share our son's name until the day he was born. Even the nurses during labor were trying to get it out of us, but we were set on keeping it a secret. So sorry folks, you won't get to "know" (So don't spoil it in the comments!) until I tell my birth story! Hang on... it's coming, and it's a bumpy ride!

1 comment:

  1. It is very hard for teachers to name their children!

    ReplyDelete